Instructions for IV Sedation
- NPO (nothing by mouth) for 8 hours before surgery. You are not allowed to eat or drink anything, not even water, for those 8 hours preceding surgery. You should brush your teeth, but don’t swallow any water.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes. No tight jeans or belts.
- Don’t wear any jewelry and remove all facial piercings, especially tongue rings. Don’t wear any nail polish on your hands.
- Wear comfortable, closed toed shoes that don’t come off your feet. No flip flops.
- Prepare for after surgery by having ice packs made (ice cubes in ziploc bags), plenty of water, soups, ice cream, pudding, yogurt, oatmeal, and eggs are a few of the foods you may choose to eat for the first 2 days after surgery.
- Make sure you bring an escort with you. This person must be an adult of at least 18 years of age and he / she is expected to wait for you in the office for the entire procedure. Also, you are not to be left alone for the remainder of the day. You need to have someone with you at home for at least the first 12 hours after surgery.
- If you think you may have a chance of being pregnant, take a pregnancy test within 24 hours of surgery. General anesthesia is teratogenic, which means it can cause severe birth defects and put you and your child at risk.
- Do not take any medications at least 12 hours before surgery, unless there are specific medicines that the surgeon has instructed you to take. The doctor will instruct on the medicines you have to stop or continue. If you have any questions please call before your appointment for clarification.
- If for any reason you cannot keep your appointment, please call us at least 48 hours before your appointment. No shows or same day cancellations will have a $100.00 broken appointment fee assessed to their account.
- Bring government issued photo identification such as your Health Card or Driver’s License